Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Krishnavamsi


After the release of Chakram, the unit of Chakram organized a pressmeet and talked to the media. Phani got a chance to talk to the director of the film, Krishnavami, on his impressions about the film. Here are the excerpts


About the title and the film

Chakram (Wheel) is a key invention in the evoluation of mankind. It brought in a revolution in the methods of transportation. There are many such to quote. But the main reason is that hero's role (Chakradhar) in the film aims at delivering happiness to one and all. I mean to say, he transports the happiness to each and everyone. Chakram title is apt for the film.

The concept of this film is haunting me for about 8 years. I meet Sirivennala Sitarama Sastry on a regular basis. He usually pens lyrics for my films. During such visits, sometimes I hear the lyrics that he pens for himself and not for the films. I heard this Jagamanata Kutumbama on one such occassion. From that time on it was lingering in my mind. I though I should do something with this. But never knew what to do. Recently, I saw Shahrukh's Kal Ho Na Ho. Somehow I felt my thoughts and the base of that film seemed to converge. Kal Ho Na Ho has lot of commercial elements and thats a different thing. And I should also say that Rajesh Khanna's Anand and Bavarjee are an inspiration for this film.

About Prabhas

I wouldnot have started this project right now if not for Prabhas. Usually, I wont start another project until 2-3 months from the completion of my previous project. As I was closing on Sri Anjaneyam, producers Sivaraju and Venkatraju approached me with the dates of Prabhas and said they wanted to make a film. I was kind of tempted. The reason is that while I was making Khadgam, I met Prabhas once and he expressed his desire to work with me. Not just that, he also sent me a CD of his work. That CD was from the time when he got training from Satyanand. I was impressed with one particular thing on that CD. Usually I saw lot of people mimicing animals. In this CD, Prabhas did lot of animals. But what impressed me the best is the way he did a hen. Watching the expressions on his face while doing that, I immediately decided that I will do a film with this guy. So when the producers came with Prabhas's dates, I narrated the story to them and everyone okayed it.

Is this an experimentation with Prabhas, having action hero image, doing such role
Absolutely not. Define trend and image! I dont believe in trends. I believe in style. If you make a film that is liked by the audience, that is called trend. I dont believe in formula and routine format.

Memorable moment during this production

The hero has to go to the father of Charmi with waving his hands and chanting Yamini Yamini. Prabhas was kind of hesitant and embarrased to do that shot. But I convinced him that it will come out great. He did that shot perfect.

About Music
We fixed on Chakri in the last minute. It is irrelevant here on why it happened in the last minute. But whenever we (Chakri and I) met, he used to say I need a song. Jagan (Puri Jagannath) once sent me a CD of 143. There is this song Yendukaneee.. in that film. I heard it for thousands of times. For some reason I really liked the song. There is a feel in that song. Be it the instruments or the vocals, the song is composed great. Even after roping him for Chakram, I thought I will have to bug him a lot to get the kind of tunes I need. Music plays a key role with Chakram since the film is based on a song. However, he gave 4 tunes very quickly and I okayed them right away. The only issue was with Jagamantha Kutumbam. He gave me some tunes. But there was something missing with all of them. Usually when Sirivennela pens the lyrics, he frames the tunes too. I mean just for humming. I gave the same tune to Chakri and he modulated it pretty nicely. The credit goes to Chakri for making this song a big hit.

Hero dies at the end. Though many said it is inspired from Kal Ho Na Ho or other films in which the hero dies, the way you showed it is very different. Your comments on that

Thats a good point. From old times, we have this "alankara sasatram". In that they say that there are somethings that should not be shown. For eg: Prasooti, Sambogamu, Chaavu. Thats why I didnot show the death of the hero character. In the final scenes, Prakashraj will carry the ashes of the hero. Another point to note here is that usually sons inherit from father. But in this film the father will inherit the character of son to bring in happiness to the society. Prakashraj says that in a dialogue - "nuvvu naa kodukuvi kadhuraa.. naa nannavi". All the scenes in this film with son and father will have a feel.

Next project
For now I am still involved with Chakram. Will tell you details very soon on the next project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home